WordPress and the Performancing Extension
I’m a bit of tinkerer when it comes to tools like the performancing extension for firefox,
so I have no fear of installing software and seeing what happens (I do
have backups coming out the wazoo though…); The only
real problem I see with this tool is that (for WordPress, anyway) people won’t believe how easy it is to use…
To that end I’ve thrown some words together – a Dummies
version of implementing the extension for WordPress. The
only hard part is to remember is that if you are running a blog under
the wordpress.com domain (like scoble), you are a wordpress.com blog, otherwise you are a wordpress custom blog.
It’s this simple….
- Install the performancing extension. This does require FireFox 1.5, but since my extensions (Adblock, ColorZilla, IE View, Sage and Greasemonkey) are now all supported, I had no problem with this.
- Restart firefox.
- The top menu item on your right-click menu is now performancing.
- The first time you select this menu item, you will need to tell the extension where your blog lives so select the Launch Account Wizard button,
- Select the blogging service type – remember, are you using a wordpress custom blog (i.e. hosted, like me), or a wordpress.com blog (like scoble) ??
- Add your API extension. This should be
http://mywebsite.com/xmlrpc.php – except that if your blog is
installed at a sub directory level (like http://martin-english.com/whatsup/ ), then this should be reflected in the name ( http://mywebsite.com/myblog/xmlrpc.php )
- The next screen asks for your wordpress user (such as admin) and password
and validates the connection.
- if all goes well, you’ll get a screen that says you’ve added your blog to the extensions.
Repeat steps 5 to 8 for each wordpress (or other blogging service)
blog you want to access from the extension. Every time you successfully
add a blog, you’ll get a new entry in the right hand window –
Now, whenever you come across something you want to blog on, or
even just to save as a link-list on your blog or within the extension,
just right click, select performancing and blog away.
Once you’ve successfully posted, your blog is updated right away:
You can post to various categories (listed on the right):
You can see your history for further editing (even if it wasn’t posetd via performancing):
If you want to update a previous entry, select it from the history tab. You can publish it as brand new content or Publish as Edit (see the button in the image below)
Martin, that’s a fantastic HOWTO, thanks so much!
We’ve just added technorati tag support btw🙂
This is a GREAT extension! I use WordPress
(custom) for my personal blog and have by using the Performancing
Extension for a couple of days now. I was using w.bloggar previously to
post to my blog, but the your is so much easier and faster!
On a sidenote, I have been holding out on making the switch to
Firefox. I have been a longtime user of the Maxthon browser (IE-based
tabbed browser) — but this extension and the „IE Tab“ extension sent
me over the top. Firefox is now my default browser!!
Hopefully this weekend I will have a chance to give it a go.