This method assumes the user is familiar with the copying of files and folders and is willing to experiment a little to make things work.
2. Unzip the zip file, usually right-clicking on the file and selecting „Extract“ should create a folder with the contents of the zip file.
3. With K-Meleon closed, copy the following files and folders from the Mozilla directory you have just created into your existing K-Meleon directory (usually c:\program files\k-meleon) and, when prompted have existing files overwritten:
- all *.dll files in the main directory (where mozilla.exe resides). This is the quick and easy path for updating, a better alternative would be to just copy the same files that can be found in the K-Meleon directory. This can be accomplished with „xcopy“, e.g. xcopy c:\mozilla\*.* %programfiles%\K-Meleon\ /U /Q /Y
Once you have copied the folders and files across, go to the k-meleon\components folder, and delete (or backup) compreg.dat and xpti.dat. You need to do this in order for the History function to work correctly. Otherwise if you don’t use the History function leave the files as is.
4. It may also be a good idea to get rid of (i.e. delete) chrome.rdf in c:\program files\K-Meleon\Profiles\…\chrome\ so that K-Meleon will be able to pick up changes correctly. Sometimes it may also be necessary to delete overlayinfo.* in the same Profile folder.
5. Start K-Meleon. Help –> About K-Meleon should now report a newer Mozilla version (1.7.12).